Feel a little intimidated in a crowd? Leil Lowndes, author of good-bye to shy shares her techniques for not just surviving but triumphing at holiday events.
1. ARRIVE WHILE IT'S STILL A SMALL PARTY- get there when there are just few people milling about. It's perfect way to make a big party small. You'll meet everyone there, so you will know people who can introduce you to others later.
2. SPEAK FIRST - all that's required is " hi my name is _____ and yours? Remember people form an opinion of you in the first 10 seconds.
3. SOUND DAZZLED OVER THE DULLEST THINGS - no matter how boring your acquintance's words may be, respond as though that person just made the most enthralling revelation you've heard all week. Then you'll sound interesting to your listener.
4. USE NAMES IN MODERATION - say someone's name in greeting and parting. it makes him or her feel more connected to you.
5. AS " KEEP TALKING " QUESTIONS - leave uh - huh and okey behind and throw out some who? what? when? where? why? and how?