New Jersey NJ unemployment: some websites charge for filing Unemployment Insurance claims. NJLWD wants you to be aware of websites that charge fees for filing Unemployment Insurance claims.
There are never charges to file an Unemployment Insurance claim in any state or territory. Please be aware that there are private websites that charge fees to provide information on New Jersey's Unemployment Insurance Benefits Program or try to offer assistance with filing an Unemployment Insurance claim. Anyone who visits a website that charges a fee for processing an application for unemployment insurance benefits should immediately exit that site before providing confidential information such as a credit card number or social security number. These other sites are not affiliated with or authorized by the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
Before unemployment benefits can be paid to you, you must file a claim for unemployment benefits. The New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development does not charge any fee to file an unemployment claim. You may file your new unemployment claim, or reopen an existing claim via the Internet if you meet all the following requirements:
* All of your work was in New Jersey in the past 18 months;
* You did not work for the federal government in the past 18 months;
* You did not serve in the military in the past 18 months;
* You did not work as a maritime employee in the past 18 months;
* You do not reside outside the United States;
* You do not want to reopen or file a claim for extended benefits.